Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Hogg: Anthony (Tony)

1905-1915 (Leeds City Player Details)


Born: Walker, Newcastle-on-Tyne: 09-01-1890

Debut: v Blackpool (h): 03-09-1910

510 11st 3lb (1909)

Hogg was playing with Walker Church Lads in his native Newcastle when Leeds City saw him as a future prospect and brought him to Elland Road in September 1909, when he was still only nineteen. He was earmarked for the lower grade teams to help him gain experience and hopefully mature into a good goalkeeping prospect. He had been with City for just one year when he was thought ready for the first team at the start of the 1910-11 season. Harry Bromage had been the City first choice for several seasons, but was injured for the start of the campaign and the twenty-year-old acquitted himself well in the first three games that he deputized, as each of the games were lost by a single goal, but it was enough for City to recall their experienced keeper as soon as he was fit. Hogg did play a further ten games that season and the ageing Harry Bromage was allowed to leave at the end of the season. However, Leslie Murphy was recruited from Ireland as first choice and Cecil Reinhardt was also brought in as cover which relegated Hogg to third in the pecking order. After Murphy had played the first six fixtures, of which only one ended in victory, it was Hogg who was called upon for two games before Murphy resumed for the next eight fixtures before Reinhardt took over for four matches. Murphy then returned for four games until Reinhardt was restored for the next eight, but it was Hogg that finished the season as number one with six consecutive games. Just as Hogg thought he had established himself with the departure of Murphy back to Ireland, new Manager Herbert Chapman opted for experience and brought in the ageing Irish International Billy Scott. Once more it was back to the Reserves, but as Reinhardt had also left it was a straight fight between himself and Scott. While Scott started as first choice he only played five games after the turn of the year as Hogg finished the season as the man in possession. Hogg remained the first choice keeper for the next season and a half until Willis Walker took over in February 1915. Hogg did not play for Leeds again as the War broke out and Hogg played for Houghton Rovers and then Palmer's (Jarrow). It was not until 1920 that he signed for First Division Newcastle United but never made their first team. However, he did play for a scratch team against Newcastle on 4th September 1915 at the home of Newcastle City, Brough Park Byker. The Newcastle team was virtually a Newcastle United team while the scratch eleven was a gathering of well-known players from a little further South, comprised from The English and Southern Leagues. It was a friendly in aid of wounded Troops at the Northumberland Hospital at Coxlodge. Refereed by Charles Stobbart, between a four and five thousand spectators paid 122 14s 11d. The game ended in a 2-2 draw as Frank Hudspeth scored from the spot before William Hogg equalised for the visitors in the twenty-eighth minute. Billy Hibbert gave the lead back to the home team in the seventy-fiifth minute, before Frank Hudspeth went from hero to zero when he put through his own goal in the ninetieth minute. The Newcastle team lined up: James Lawrence; William McCracken and Frank Hudspeth; Robert Hewison, Wilfred Low, John Findley; Angus Douglas, William Hibbert, Thomas Hall, Alexander Higgins, Edward Cooper. Anthony Hogg of Leeds City was in the visitors goal; while William Hampson of Newcastle United and Robert Waugh of Derby County were the full backs; Levi Thorpe of Burnley, Harry Peart of Leeds City and Robert Liddell of Millwall were the half backs; William Hogg of Ayr United, Henry Forbes Low of Sunderland, John George Peart of Notts County, Thomas F. Mayson of Grimsby Town and George Dawson of Preston North End were the forwards. This Friendly Match was organised by South Shields player John Peart. The Newcastle team was thought to be below par and not of League strength. The scratch team were better but Newcastle were leading 2-1 until the dying seconds for the own goal. Newcastle's opening goal had come about when Levi Thorpe jostled Thomas Hall from behind in the box and Frank Hudspeth duly scored from the spot. The former Sunderland forward, William Hogg then equalised in the twenty-eigth minute. Billy Hibbert gave the lead back to Newcastle with fifteen minutes left on the clock. The visitors then applied much pressure as they searched for an equaliser and after they had twice gone close. However, justice was done, when a cross from George Dawson of Preston North End was deflected into the net by Frank Hudspeth.It is interesting to note that there was a very strong contingent of players who guested for Leeds City during the War Leagues. Anthony Hogg in the visitors goal had long been in the keeper's role at Leeds City and he later signed for Newcastle United but never made the Magpies first team.

League 960
F.A. Cup 50
League 960
F.A. Cup 50