Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Hynds: Thomas (Tom)

1907-1908 (Leeds City Player Details)

Centre Half

Born: Hurlford, Ayrshire: 05-11-1883

Debut: v Glossop (h): 02-09-1907

5’10” 11st 0lb (1907)

Hynds started with his local side Hurlford Thistle and signed for Celtic in February 1898. He made thirty-one appearances and scored twice from Centre Half in his time at Parkhead. He made his senior competitive debut in the 2-0 Charity Cup final defeat by Rangers on 7th May 1898 and despite that loss retained his place for much of the following League campaign, 1898-1899, making eleven League and one Glasgow Cup appearances and scored his first goal for Celtic on 3rd September 1898 in a 4-1 home win over St Mirren this was soon followed by his second and final goal on 29th October 1898 in a 3-2 win at St Bernard's. There was also one Scottish Cup appearance, but even though Celtic lifted the Cup that season, he did not get a medal as he did not play in the Final in which Celtic were 2-0 winners over Rangers at Hampden Park in front of 25,000 on 22nd April 1899.When Celtic signed former Blackburn Rovers centre-half and future Scotland captain Harry Marshall from Hearts in 1899, it spelled the end for Hynds at Celtic. The 1899-90 season saw him make just two Scottish League appearances as he dropped out of contention and was forced to switch to right-half when he did play. He once more did not play in the final, in which Celtic were 4-3 winners over Queens Park in front of 18,000 at Ibrox on 14th May 1900.Even though he did play two Scottish Cup games, one being in a 2-2 draw with Rangers in the semi-final on 24th February 1900. He did pick up an International Recognition when he appeared for the Scottish League against the Irish League on 16th February 1901 in a 2-1 win for the Scots in front of 9,500 at The Oval in Belfast, in a season when he made thirteen Scottish League appearances and finally two League appearance in late August 1901 which brought his final tally to twenty-eight appearances and two goals in the League together with three Scottish Cup appearances and one in the Glasgow Cup. He had a number of spells out on loan, to Bolton Wanderers in March 1899, where he made eight League appearances, Clyde in October 1899 where he made four Scottish League appearances, and Manchester City in October 1901. He made a success of his initial stay at City and the move was made permanent in September 1902. He made his City debut on 5th October 1901 in a 2-0 defeat at Notts County at Trent Bridge. He stayed at Hyde Road for five seasons and scored nine goals in one hundred and fifty -eight League games and also played in fourteen Cup-ties without scoring. He won a Second Division Championship medal in 1902-03 and an F.A. Cup winners’ medal in 1903-04. He was considered invaluable to City and was reportedly paid more than their star player, Billy Meredith. He soon showed his value as City went on a roller-coaster ride. After City had been champions of the Second Division in 1898-99 in their first two seasons in the First Division they had managed a seventh and eleventh in the table. In his first season at Hyde Road, 1901- 1902, City finished bottom of an eighteen club League with twenty-eight points and dropped from the First Division to the Second Division. Hynds started twenty-nine of the thirty-four League games and in all four F.A. Cup. He found the net twice, both in the 2-0 home win over Newcastle United on 8th March 1902. It did not take them long to reclaim there First Division status as Champions of the Second Division for the 1902-03 season with fifty-four points from their thirty-four games. Hynds had a strong season playing thirty-one of thirty-four games and one in the F.A. Cup as City made their usual early exit. He scored just once in the season in a 2-1 away win at Doncaster Rovers on 27th December 1902. 1903-04 saw City really lay down their marker. Winning the F.A. Cup and coming second on the First Division, with fifty-four points, just three points behind the Champions, The Wednesday. A Billy Meredith goal in the first-half proved sufficient to win the Final 1-0 against Bolton Wanderers, who finished in seventh place in the Second Division, as referee A.J. Barker was in charge at Crystal Palace in front of a crowd of 61,374. The teams lined up: Manchester City: J. Hillman, J. McMohan; H. Burgess, S. Frost, T. Hynds; S.B. Ashworth, B. Meredith (capt), G. Livingstone, B. Gillespie, A. Turnbull, F. Booth. Bolton Wanderers: D.Davies; W.Brown, B. Struthers; R.Clifford, S. Greenhalgh, A. Freebairn; D.Stokes, S, Marsh, B. Yenson, W. White, A. Taylor. Hynds started thirty-two League games and six games in the F.A. Cup and netted twice, the first on 26th September 1903 in a 3-0 away win at Notts County, and the second in a 2-2 draw with Liverpool at Anfield on 27th February 1904. 1904-1905 saw City obtain two more points compared to the previous season, but finish one place down as they finished third, on forty-six points, just two points behind champions Newcastle United and one behind runners-up, Everton. Hynds was again, close to being with ever-present with thirty-three League appearances and two F.A. Cup ties and found the net twice in the League. On 28th January 1905 he scored in the 3-2 home win over top-team Newcastle United and the second on 21st April 1905 in a 2-0 home win against second placed Everton. His final season of his stay at Manchester City, 1905-06, saw City finish fifth, eight points behind champions, Liverpool. He made thirty-one League appearances and one F.A. Cup.He played his final game for Manchester City in a 1-6 defeat in front of a crowd of 8,000 at Ayresome Park on 17th April 1906. There was now a finalisation of a bribery scandal, which had involved Manchester City and Billy Meredith and the City players. The club was involved for the second time in three years and on 31st May 1906 and were heavily punished by the F.A.for controvention of its rules governing the employment of professional players. It centred around Billy Meredith and the club on 14th February 1906, the Manchester City Club addressed a letter to the F. A. complaining of the conduct of Billy Meredith, who they claimed payment of wages whilst under suspension, and made threats in consequence of the refusal of the club to comply with his demands. The F.A. found it necessary not only to make inquiry into the allegations of the club as affecting the conduct of Meredith whilst under suspension, but also the matters relating to the management of the club since 1902. A commission was appointed in 1905 to inquire into the irregularities in connection with the League match, Aston Villa v Manchester City, played at Birmingham on 29th April 1905, and in the course of the inquiry statements were made that before the match commenced Billy Meredith, the captain of Manchester City, offered a sum of money to Alex Leake, a player of Aston Villa F.C., to let Manchester City win the match. The commission came to the conclusion that the charge was well founded, and on 4th August 1905, suspended Billy Meredith from taking any part in football until 30th April 1906. Meredith informed the present commission that it was true he made an offer of £10 to Alex Leake at Birmingham to let his club win the match, and that this offer was made in pursuance of a suggestion by Mr. Tom Maley, the manager, and with approval of other players, Mr. Maley having promised the team a bonus of £100 if they won the League championship or equaled Newcastle United in points. The commission was satisfied that Meredith had persistently and improperly demand from the directors of his club, not only the wages to which he would have been entitled had he not been under suspension, but wages at the rate of £6 per week and bonuses for winning and drawing matches. Which the club had agreed and promised to pay him. He said he had allowed himself to be a scapegoat for others, and he expected they would see that he did not suffer monetary loss. Among other suggestions, it was alleged that he asked that a dummy player should be signed on. In regard to the management of the club, it was admitted that prior to July, 1902 the rules of the association had not been observed. An agreement had been entered into by J.E. Chapman, with Billy Meredith, under which Meredith was to receive £6 per week. Mr. Chapman wanted to be relieved from his liability obtained the following indemnity from the then chairman and vice-chairman of the club: –“An agreement made this seventh day of July, 1902, between John Edward Chapman, of Stockport Road, in the city of Manchester, hotel proprietor, on the one part, and Edward Hulton and C. H. Waterhouse for and on behalf of the directors of the Manchester City Football Club Company Limited, on the other part. Whereas a certain agreement dated 30th April 1902, is in existence relative to services to be rendered the said club by one William Meredith, and whereas the said John Edward Chapman is under certain obligations to the said William Meredith, now it is hereby agreed that the said Edward Hulton and C.H. Waterhouse shall and to take for and on behalf of the said club the said liability under the agreement, and agree to hold the said John Edward Chapman harmless in respect thereof.” Similar arrangements were made with George Livingston, under which he received £6 10s. per week, and also other players for payment of wages in excess of the maximum allowed by the rules of the association. It was also admitted that promises had been made to the layers of payment of bonuses varying from £1 to £5 for winning and drawing matches. The following statement was handed to the commission, showing (as the commission was informed) payments amounting to £681 12s 6d as the balance of money paid to players as bonuses for League matches and cup ties in the season of 1903-04, other money having been previously paid to the players: – League matches – Frank Booth, £20 6s 6d; Billy Meredith, £26; James Bannister, £35 1s; George Livingston, £20 9s; Thomas Hynds, £69; Sam Frost, £28 10s; Jack Hillman, £17; William Gillespie, £16; Sandy Turnbull, £21 16s 6d; Herbert Burgess, £27; Johnnny McMahon, £34 4s; William Holmes, £14 5s 9d; Thomas Broad, £5; Robert Dearden, £6; Robert Davidson, £23 10s 6d; William Lyon, £25 – Total, £389 10s 3d. Cup-ties – Meredith, £27; Bannister, £4 2s 3d; Livingston, Hynds, Frost, Gillespie, Turnbull, Burgess, and McMahon, each £27; Homes, £25; Dearden, £27, Sam Ashworth, £10; John Edmondson, £17 – Total, £292 2s 3d. The council decided that: – * Mr. W. Forest, the late chairman, and Mr. Tom Maley, the secretary and manager of the club, be not allowed to again act in any capacity in connection with football under the jurisdiction of the Football Association. * That Mr. John Allison and Mr. J.H. Davies directors of the club, be suspended from taking part in football management until 1st May, 1907. * The other directors excused themselves from responsibility upon the ground of want of knowledge of the proper management of a football club, or inattention to their duties, and they should be ordered to resign, so as to permit of the appointment of directors qualified to perform the office. * That the following players be suspended from taking any part in football for football management until January 1, 1907, and that they be fined: – W. Meredith, £100; G.T. Livingston, £100; T. Hynds, £75; J. McMahon, £75; J. Hillman, £50; A. Turnbull, £50; F. Booth, £50; H. Burgess, £50; S. Frost, £50; J. Bannister, £50; R. Dearden, £50; W. Gillespie, £50; W. Holmes, £50; J.H. Edmondson, £25; R. Davidson, £25; W.J. Lyon, £25; and S.B. Ashworth, £25. * That S.B. Ashworth be declared a professional. * That all the players dealt with under this report be not allowed to again play for the Manchester City club. * That the fines be paid before January 1, 1907. * That the fines, after paying the expenses of the commission, be given to Manchester charities. (Source: Aberdeen Journal: June 2, 1906). So Hynds had been engulfed in an illegal payments scandal in 1904 and was banned from football for four months and fined £75. While still under suspension, he was transferred to Woolwich Arsenal in December 1906. He made his Arsenal debut on 1st January 1907, in a 1-1 draw against The Wednesday at Hillsborough, but spent only five months at the club, displacing Percy Sands from the centre half position for thirteen League matches and four F.A. Cup ties, in which he scored one goal, being the second Arsenal goal on 2nd February 1907 in a 2-1 win over Bristol City in the Second Round as Arsenal went on to reach the semi-finals of the 1906-07 competition before they were eliminated by the Wednesday at St Andrew's 1-3 before a crowd of 36,000. He played his final game for Woolwich Arsenal in a 1-4 defeat by Notts County on 17th April 1907. He joined Leeds City in May 1907 and was recognized as a mature and robust Scottish centre-half, cool, self- assured and accurate with his passing. He was good enough to have represented the Scottish League and at Cathkin Park Glasgow, home of Third Lanark, when he was picked for an Anglo-Scots representative side that played in a trial for the full Scottish team against the Home Scots in March 1905. His experience at the highest level in both England and Scotland made him an ideal choice as the new Leeds City captain. He played just a single season for Leeds City, where he was described as “one of the most prominent half back in the League, a fearless tackler and knows how and when to place the ball”, making thirty-seven League appearances and one game in the F.A. Cup. He made his debut for the club on the first game of 1907-08 season in a 2-0 home win over Glossop on 2nd September 1907 and his final game, at left-back in a 1-2 away loss to Gainsborough Trinity on 22nd April 1908. Hynds missed just one game as City ended the campaign twelfth, and he earned a host of good reviews. But after the board declined to renew the contract of secretary-manager Gilbert Gillies, the centre-half chose to depart Elland Road in May 1908 to join Hearts in Scotland. He went on to score four goals in thirty-two League games for the Edinburgh team in his first season of 1908-09 and only three more in the following season of 1909-10. His debut came on 5th August 1908, in a 1-2 away defeat at Dundee. His first goal came in a 6-1 win at Fir Park over Motherwell, Hynds scoring the third goal to give Hearts a 3-0 lead. He left them at the end of 1909 after just three games in that season. He also played in four Scottish Cup games and in an East of Scotland Shield Final on 3rd October 1908 at Easter Road. The game finished as a 2-2 draw and it went to a replay on 27th February 1909 at Tynecastle Park, which also was not resolved as it finished 1-1. He went on to play in all three Finals but did not get a winners' medal as Hibernian finally lifted the Shield in a 1-0 win in the second replay on 30th April 1909 again at Tynecastle Park. He moved to Dumbarton where he made two appearances, moving to Ladysmith FC in British Columbia, Canada. He returned to Scotland in January 1913 to play for Musselburgh and then played in America for a while in 1914, however, he had to retire because of sciatica. He later coached overseas, working in Canada and Italy.

League 370
F.A. Cup 10