Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Jefferson: Robert William (Bob)

1906-1908 (Leeds City Player Details)

Outside Right

Born: Sunderland: 1882

Debut: v Leicester Fosse (h): 15-09-1906

5’6 1/2” 11st 0lb (1908)

After leaving school Jefferson joined the Royal Navy but was not comfortable there and deserted and eventually bought himself out of the service and became an apprentice moulder at a foundry on Wearside. He started his football career playing junior football with local team Sunderland Royal Rovers but turned professional when he signed with Bradford City in November 1904. The Bishopwearmouth born winger made his debut on 24th December 1904 in a 4-1 home win over Doncaster Rovers. The Bantams finished eighth in an eighteen team Second Division with thirty-two points in the 1904-05 season. It is possible that one of his goals came in a 2-4 home defeat by Liverpool at Valley Parade on 7th March 1905. However, The Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer of 8th March 1905 described the goal as an own goal and match as follows: Tuesday, March 7th 1905, Football League, Second Division, at Valley Parade, kick-off: 15:30 Bradford City – Liverpool 2-4 (0-4). Attendance: 12,000. Teams: Bradford City : James Garvey; Willie Wilson, Fred Halliday; Jimmy Henderson, George Robinson, Jimmy McLean; Bob Jefferson, Andrew McGeachan, John Graham, Johnny McMillan, Jimmy Conlin. Liverpool : Ned Doig; Alf West, Billy Dunlop; Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck, George Fleming; Arthur Goddard, Robert Robinson, Sam Raybould, Jack Parkinson, John Cox. The goals: 0-1 Parkinson (5 min.), 0-2 Raybould, 0-3 Parkinson (penalty, 32 min.), 0-4 Robinson (42 min.), 1-4 Own goal (Fleming), 2-4 McGeachan (85 min.). Played at Valley Parade yesterday afternoon, before 12,000 spectators. Both teams were at full strength, and a keen game was anticipated, as Bradford are sadly in need of points, and Liverpool are making determined efforts to assure themselves a safe position in the division. Graham opened for Bradford, and from the start it was evident that Liverpool were the superior team both in point of physique and in general play. The game commenced keenly, but before five minutes had passed Parkinson from a centre by Raisbeck put through a soft goal, Garvey having no chance whatever. Conlin then came to the relief of Bradford, and aided by McMillan and McLean took play to the other end of the field. The relief was short-lived, however, for showing splendid combination Liverpool again pressed, and Garvey was severely tested with some hot shots. His defence, however, was good, and Bradford rushing away Graham had a futile shot at goal. From the subsequent goal-kick Liverpool were again seen in the City quarters, and after a short tussle with Garvey Raybould put the ball through. Liverpool were now having a large share of the game, and were lucky in obtaining a penalty shot. Parkinson took the kick, and had no difficulty in netting the ball, thus giving the visitors a clear lead of three goals to nil.The City then made desperate efforts to score, but the superior play of the Liverpool backs proved too for them. They did, however, succeed in obtaining a corner, and after a few moments exciting play in the vicinity of the Liverpool goal Conlin centred smartly to Graham, who rushing ip took a flying shot, but with an almost clear goal in front of him sent the ball wide of the posts. Conlin and McLean were then to the fore with some good work, but Bradford were soon driven back again, and a strong rush by the Liverpool forwards resulted in Robinson putting up the visitors’ fourth goal. Further exciting play followed, but at half- time the score was unchanged, Liverpool leading by four goals to Bradford City nil. Parkinson re-started, and with the change of ends play appeared to favour Bradford, who began with renewed vigour. Liverpool quickly forced a corner, but the City cleared without difficulty, and play was transferred to the opposite end, where Bradford’s first goal was scored in a somewhat peculiar manner, Jefferson sending in a fierce shot, which struck Fleming, an opposing back, and bounced off him into the net. Shortly afterwards McGeachan had hard lines in not scoring, the ball striking the upright. Corners then came to each team in succession, but with no addition to the score. Bradford were now playing a confident game, and were continuously on the attack, McMillan centred to Graham, who was again faulty, but McGeachan shortly afterwards made amends by heading in the ball, and thus scoring Bradford’s second goal. The City continued to press, but time arrived with the score Liverpool 4 goals, Bradford City 2 goals. In a twenty club competition the Valley Paraders went backwards, finishing eleventh, with thirty-four points. He had scored six goals in thirty League appearances and also made one appearance in the F.A. Cup before joining Leeds City in May 1906. It was lack of first team opportunities that led to Jefferson joining Leeds City. Jefferson played primarily as an outside right, but could play at any forward or wing position. There was a potential to have played in the first game of the season as Bradford City were due to visit Elland Road. Fred Parnell was a fixture on the right wing. Leeds had tried David Wilson twice then Bob Watson in the centre-forward spot, before trying Jefferson in that position. He did, however, score on his Leeds City debut in the fourth game of the season a 1-1 draw at home to Leicester Fosse on 15th September 1906. Sports reporter Nimrod, in the Mercury said: “Jefferson’s appearance at centre-forward must be voted a success. He did not, perhaps, display what might be exactly termed trickiness, but he was dashing, bustling, and energetic. It is such play that often brings victory. He was never afraid of shooting, either, and with a little luck he would several times have netted the ball.” He did also score in his third appearance in a 1-1 draw at Sincil Bank against Lincoln City and at that point had scored twice in his first three games. He finished his first season, 1906-07, having played nine League games for four goals, and also had one F.Cup game. His other two goals having come in a 3-2 home win over West Bromwich Albion on 5th January 1907, and the other on 2nd February 1907 in a 1-1 home draw with Blackpool. In the Leeds City v West Bromwich Albion game it took place before a crowd of 14,000 at Elland Road. Leeds found themselves two goals down after Fred Shinton had scored twice in the thirteenth and fifteenth minutes. Billy McLeod reduced the arrears fourteen minutes into the second half. Jefferson equalised in the sixty-ninth minute and their presure paid off when Billy McLeod got the winner in the final minute. Matt McQueen (Liverpool) was the Referee. Leeds City lined up: Harry Bromage; Jimmy Freeborough, Dick Ray; Charles Morgan, Gerald Kirk, Fred Hargrave; Bob Jefferson, Stan Cubberley, Billy McLeod, Jack Lavery, Harry Singleton. While West Bromwich Albion fielded: Jimmy Stringer; Dick Betteley, Jesse Pennington; Arthur Randle, Ted Pheasant, Sammy Timmins; Fred Buck, Adam Haywood, Fred Shinton, Tommy Dilly, Samuel Legge. City finished tenth in the twenty-team League Division 2 for the 1906-07 season with thirty-six points, eleven less than Bradford City, who finished in fifth place. Leeds had now signed Billy McLeod to fill the troublesome centre-forward position and had covered most other places that he had coveted. So it a proved as his only appearances in the 1907-08 came as the deputy for Fred Parnell, on all but one occasion. He did add one his goal tally when he opened the scoring in a 3-1 away win at Oakwell on 7th March 1908 against Barnsley. He had scored once in eight League appearances for the 1907-08 season as the Peacocks could do no better than twelfth with thirty-two points, as neighbours Bradford City were champions of the Second Division with fifty-four points. He had scored five goals in seventeen League appearances and one game in the F.A. Cup. He had found opportunities limited and played only eighteen games, scoring five times, during his two seasons at Elland Road. Bob Jefferson was an exciting forward, fast and skilful with a tremendous shot, and able to play right across the line. He never established himself at Elland Road, but really came into his own in later years during a fourteen year career with Swindon Town. He left to join Southern League club, Swindon Town, with team-mates Harry Kay and Jack Lavery. Jefferson was to remain with the Wiltshire club for the next fourteen years, despite his career being disrupted by the First World War. He made his debut on 24th September 1910 in a 3-1 away win at Cassio Road, home of Watford. There was a crowd of 4,000 and the game was controlled by Referee: A.T. Randle and linesmen W. Pascoe and H.C. Platt. The Watford team was: 1. James Saunders; 2. Arthur Lockett, 3. Alex Stewart; 4. Syd Beaumont, 5. Harry Kent, 6. Jock Grieve; 7. William Flint, 8. William Kelly, 9. Jimmy Maclaine, 10. Arthur Squires, 11. Patrick McArdle. while the Swindon Town team was: 1. Len Skiller; 2. Harry Kay, 3. Jock Walker; 4. Billy Tout, 5. Charles Bannister, 6. Billy Silto; 7. Bob Jefferson, 8. Harold Fleming, 9. Fred Wheatcroft, 10. Archie Bown, 11. Sammy Lamb. He did not score but the goals came from : 0-1 Sammy Lamb, 1-1 William Kelly, 1-2 Fred Wheatcroft (75 min.), 1-3 Fred Wheatcroft (80 min.). Swindon Town were going through a golden period in their history at the time. Swindon reached the F.A. Cup semi finals in 1910, beating Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City en route, but they lost to eventual winners Newcastle United at White Hart Lane. In 1911, they won the Southern League title, earning them a place in the Charity Shield match against First Division champions Manchester United. The big guns won 8-4. Town were also redoubtable opponents in the FA Cup in those days, beating seven First Division sides in the six years prior to World War One. Jefferson scored the only goal of the game when they beat Woolwich Arsenal in the second round in February 1911. Arsenal had Alf Common, the first £1,000 player, in their ranks. The second half goal came when Gunners keeper Edwin Bateup showed an amazing lack of judgement, racing out to a through ball from Harold Fleming, which Jefferson was always favourite to reach. He coolly slotted the ball home with the despairing keeper helpless to prevent him. His speed and powerful shooting were one of the features of Swindon’s Cup run in 1912, when they again reached the semi-finals, losing in a replay to eventual winners Barnsley at Meadow Lane. He scored the first goal in the quarter final, when they beat Everton 2-1. Swindon were elected to the Third Division in 1920, and Jefferson was on the score sheet in the Robins' first Football League game, which saw a 9-1 defeat of Luton Town. He scored sixty-seven goals in two hundred and seventy-four League games, eight goals in twenty-five F.A. Cup ties and six goals in thirteen other games before Swindon were elected to the Third Division of the Football League in 1920. He had represented the Southern League on eleven occasions, which clearly shows his undoubted ability at that level which recorded wins over the other three Leagues, Football League, Scottish League and Irish League. After Swindon were elected to the Football League he scored seven goals, one from the penalty spot, in fifty-four League games and also played twice in the F.A. Cup. He joined Swindon Town in May 1908 where he made three hundred and fifty-six appearances in all competitions, scoring eighty-two goals. Swindon were elected to the Third Division in 1920, In total, Jefferson made three hundred and twenty-one appearances in the Football League and the Southern Football League between 1904 and 1922, scoring seventy-eight goals. At Swindon, Jefferson made three-hundred and fifty-six appearances in all competitions, scoring eighty-two goals. In total, Jefferson made three hundred and twenty-one appearances in the Football League and the Southern Football League between 1904 and 1922, scoring seventy-eight goals. Quite surprisingly all but one of his games for Swindon were in the outside right position, the exception being in his final game in his first season when he figured at outside-left first season in a 2-6 defeat at Southend United on 24th April 1909. Swindon finished runners-up to Northampton Town with Swindon getting forty-nine points to the champions fifty-five. It was a season that he was an ever-present with forty League games and one F.A. Cup appearance. He scored eight League goals His first coming in a 3-0 home win over West Ham United on 3rd October 1908, four days later he had doubled his tally in a 2-1 home win over Exeter City. A month later came his third in a 1-1 draw at Plymouth Argyle on 7th November 1908. He then had a long drought until the reverse fixture at home to Plymouth on 13th March 1909 when he got a brace in a 5-0 win. The goals came much quicker as the season came to its conclusion with the sixth on 17th March 1909 in a 4-1 away win at Exeter City, followed three days later with one in a 5-0 thrashing of Portsmouth at home and the eighth came on 9th April 1909 in a 3-1 away win at Bristol Rovers. Swindon became Champions of the Southern League in 1909-10 reversing the roles of the previous season as they finished with fifty-three points, five ahead of Northampton Town. On a personal level, it was an especially good season for Jefferson as he missed just six games, making thirty-two appearances in the Southern League, five in the F.A. Cup and three in the Southern Charity Cup. He was also prolific in the goal-scoring, stakes having found the net thirteen times in the Southern League, once in the F.A. Cup and once in the Southern Charity Cup. He was quickly off the mark as, after failing to find the net in the first game of the season, he scored four goals in three games. On 4th September 1909 he scored the only goal of the game at Watford, before adding two more in a 4-0 home win four days later and then on 11th September 1909 he added another in a 9-1 trouncing of Reading at home to take his tally to four. He then did not score until 23rd October 1909 in a 4-0 home win over Millwall. Four days later he scored in the 4-0 home win in the Southern Charity Cup, his only goal in that competition in three appearances for the season. His next League goal was Swindon's only goal in a 1-4 home defeat by Northampton Town, but just seven days later he notched his seventh League goal in a 3-0 away win at Queens Park Rangers. The Christmas fixtures saw him move into double figures as he scored in the 3-1 home win over Portsmouth on Christmas Day and three days later he was twice on the mark in another landslide as Norwich City were put to the sword at home by 7-1. He took his tally to a dozen in the League on 12th February 1910 with two more in a 4-1 home win over Plymouth Argyle. Swindon were also making their mark in the F.A. Cup and Jefferson made five appearances in the tournament. He got one goal in the Quarter-Finals in a 2-0 home win over Manchester City on 5th March 1910, but their dreams evapourated as they were beaten 2-0 by Newcastle United at White Hart Lane. His final, and thirteenth League goal came in the final game of the season and it was sufficient to win the away fixture with Exeter City on 9th April 1910. The Southern League was fast becoming almost equal when compared with The Football League, Scottish League and Irish League. This fact was borne out by the Inter-League fixtures that had been played between the four League representive teams. It was endorsed during the 1910-11 season, when the Southern League won all three representative games against the Football League, Scottish League and Irish League. Harold Fleming, Bob Jefferson and Jock Walker of Swindon Town took part in the first two. The initial Football League v Southern League took place at Stamford Bridge on 11th April 1910 and resulted in a 2-2 draw in front of a 7,000 crowd. The goals were scored by James Stewart and Jack Parkinson for the Football League, and Albert Lewis and Harold Fleming for the Southern League. The teams were: Football League : 1. Joe Lievesley (Sheffield United); 2. Dickie Downs (Barnsley), 3. Tommy Rodway (Preston North End); 4. Fred Taylor (Chelsea), 5. Jimmy Harrop (Liverpool), 6. Hugh Moffat (Burnley); 7. Arthur Goddard (Liverpool), 8. James Stewart (Newcastle United), 9. Jack Parkinson (Liverpool), 10. Joe Bache (Aston Villa), 11. Bert Middlemiss (Tottenham Hotspur). Southern League : 1. Joe Johnson (Crystal Palace); 2. Fred Blackman (Brighton & Hove Albion), 3. Joe Bulcock (Crystal Palace); 4. James Mahon (New Brompton), 5. Ambrose Hartwell (Queen’s Park Rangers), 6. Harry Trueman (Southampton); 7. Bob Jefferson (Swindon Town), 8. Harold Fleming (Swindon Town), 9. William Steer (Queen’s Park Rangers), 10. Albert Lewis (Northampton Town), 11. Harry Buckle (Coventry City). This was followed by the Southern League beating the Scottish League by a first half goal from George Reid of Brentford on 24th October 1910 in front of 12,000 at the Den, Millwall. The Scottish League team was: 1. James Brownlie (Third Lanark); 2.Thomas Collins (Heart Of Midlothian), 3. James Hay (Celtic); 4. James Young (Celtic), 5. Herbert Dainty (Dundee), 6. Joseph Hendry (Rangers); 7. Jocky Simpson (Falkirk), 8. Robert Walker (Heart Of Midlothian), 9. Willie Kivlichan (Celtic), 10. Alexander Bennett (Rangers), 11. Robert Bryson Templeton (Kilmarnock). On 14th November 1910, The Football League met the Southern League at White Hart Lane, Tottenham, which saw the Southern League take the honours with a 3-2 win in front of a 5,000 crowd. Billy Hibbert and Bill Bradshaw scored for the Football League while Harold Fleming, George Reid and Harry Trueman netted for the Southern League. The Southern League were represented by 1. George Kitchen (West Ham United; 2. Fred Blackman (Brighton & Hove Albion), 3. John Walker (Swindon Town); 4. Ambrose Hartwell (Queens Park Rangers), 5. Billy Booth (Brighton), 6. Harry Trueman (Southampton); 7. Bob Jefferson (Swindon Town), 8. Harold Fleming (Swindon Town), 9. Herbert Moody (Luton Town), 10. George Reid (Brentford), 11. Bert Broughall-Lipsham (Millwall). The Football League were represented by : 1. Tommy Lunn (Tottenham Hotspur); 2. John Johnston (Clapton Orient) 3. George Maltby (Nottingham Forest) ; 4. Dick Duckworth (Manchester United), 5. Chris Buckley (Aston Villa) 6. Bill Bradshaw (Blackburn Rovers); 7. Jackie Mordue (Sunderland), 8. Tim Coleman (Sunderland), 9. Billy Hibbert (Bury), 10. James Stewart (Newcastle United), 11. George Wall (Manchester United). The Football League were trained by J. Nile and the Southern League trainer was R. Hunter. The match Referee was P. T. Campbell and his linesmen were H. Thompson and C. Sutcliffe. On 20th March 1911 The Southern League defeated the Irish League at Upton Park by 4-0 in front of 5,000 after leading 2-0 at half-time. The Irish team was: 1. Jack Hanna (Linfield); 2. Alec Foye (Belfast Celtic), 3. George Willis (Linfield); 4. William Andrews (Glentoran), 5. Stewart (Linfield), 6. Jimmy Reid (Glentoran); 7. Andy Hunter (Glentoran), 8. William Dodds (Linfield), 9. Sam Napier (Glentoran), 10. Jimmy McKnight (Glentoran), 11. Willett (Bohemians). Swindon maintained their winning formula, but were again runners-up. This time to Brighton and Hove Albion, who gained five more points more than the Robins, that became Champions of the Southern League Division One. Jefferson was a regular making thirty-five (of the forty-two maximum) League appearances in which he netted seven goals, while in the F.A. Cup he scored twice in four games and five Southern Charity Cup ties saw him score one goal. The 1909-10 season saw Billy Silto, Len Skiller and Freddy Wheatcroft all sign before the start of the season, and again they finish as runners-up despite scoring ninety-two goals - the highest total in the league, and twenty-three more than champions Brighton. The best action came in the cup, as the Town knock out Crystal Palace, Burnley, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City on their way to the semi-final, where they meet Newcastle. The match was played at White Hart Lane, and after the first half ends goalless, Wheatcroft was presented with a golden opportunity, but unfortunately he hit the post with a open goal in front of him. Just five minutes later, Newcastle score twice in quick succession, and the Town are knocked out. At the season's end, both losing semi-finalists are invited to compete for the Dubonnet Cup in Paris, and the Town met Barnsley, who they beat 2-1 to bring the cup back to Swindon. It was in the 1910-11 season that Swindon became the champions of the the Southern League Division One with fifty-three points in thirty-eight games, five more than Northampton Town who were runners-up. Jefferson was once more a large contributor to the Robin's success. He appeared in thirty-five of the thirty- eight league games, scoring seven of the club's eighty goals, while in the F.A. Cup he found the net three times in three appearances. After Jefferson had found the net in a 2-1 away win at Plymouth Argyle on 7th September 1910 in the Southern Charity Cup and Bristol Rovers had been disposed of in a 6-2 home win on 26th October 1910, three replays were needed to see off Queens Park Rangers in the semi-final. After there was twice a 1-1 draw on 28th November 1910 and 12th December 1910, Swindon eventually going through 3-2 at White Hart Lane after extra time to break the deadlock after the scores had been locked at 2-2 at the end of normal time. Fulham’s ground was chosen again for the final against Brighton and when that too ended in a 0-0 stalemate, after extra-time, on 24th April 1911 the sides returned there on a Thursday afternoon. This time Archie Bown settled the contest, on 27th April 1911, giving Town a second trophy to add to the Southern League title they had lifted just five days earlier, when Brighton were again their opponents. His seven League goals came in well spread fashion, the first in a 2-0 home win over Leyton Orient on 17th September 1910. His second was at Southampton on 8th October 1910 in a 4-0 victory. It was not until 26th November 1910 that he scored his third goal in a 4-1 home win over Luton Town. But his fourth and five came in quick succession as he netted in a 2-1 away win at Norwich City on Boxing Day and a 5-2 away win at Crystal Palace on New Year's Eve. His sixth came in a 5-1 home win over Southampton on 11th February 1911and his seventh came on 8th April 1911 in a 2-1 home win over Portsmouth. His F.A. Cup goals came on 4th February 1911 as he scored the only goal of game in a 1-0 home win over Woolwich Arsenal and his second in a 3-0 away win at Darlington on 25th February 1911. The status of the Southern League was endorsed during the 1910-11 season, when the Southern League won all three representative games against the Football League, Scottish League and Irish League. Harold Fleming, Bob Jefferson and Jock Walker of Swindon Town took part in the first two. The 1911-12 season saw Jefferson again representing the Southern League as they continued to give as good as they got. The first Inter-League fixture saw The Southern League travel to Windsor Park, Belfast to play the Irish League on 30th September 1911 in front of a 9,000 crowd, saw the visitors score a 2-0 victory, courtesy of two first half goals. The Irish team was: 1. Leslie Skene (Glentoran); 2. William Lavery (Belfast Celtic), 3. Paddy McCann (Glentoran); 4. John Darling (Linfield), 5. Jimmy Connor (Belfast Celtic), 6. Jimmy Reid (Glentoran); 7. Andy Hunter (Glentoran), 8. Sam Napier (Glentoran), 9. Jack Cowell (Distillery), 10. George Ryder (Distillery), 11. Marshall McEwan (Linfield). This was quickly followed by a defeat at the hands of the Scottish League, in front of a crowd of 8,000 at Clyde's Shawfield Stadium, on 2nd October 1911. There was another defeat on 9th October 1911, as the Football League took advantage to claim a 2-1 win at Stoke's Victoria Ground. The Southern League team was trained by R. Hunter and lined up as: Charles Shaw (Queens Park Rangers); Frank Bradshaw (Everton, Charlie Brittan (Tottenham); Samuel Frost (Millwall), Eli Bradley (Captain West Bromwich Albion), John N. Robertson (Southampton); Bob Jefferson (Swindon Town), Harold John Fleming (Swindon Town), John George Peart (Stoke), Ted Randall (Arsenal), E. Freeman (Northampton Town). In the other Swindon fixtures, he scored once in the Charity Shield and played once in the Southern Charity Cup.The 1911 FA Charity Shield was the fourth Charity Shield, an annual football match contested by the winners of the previous season's Football League and Southern League competitions. The match was played on 25th September 1911 between Manchester United, winners of the 1910–11 Football League, and Swindon Town, winners of the 1910–11 Southern League. Manchester United won the match 8–4 in front of only 10,000 fans at Stamford Bridge, London. The match remains the highest scoring match in Charity Shield history. Harold Halse scored six goals for Manchester United in this match, a record for the most goals scored by an individual in a Charity Shield match. Proceeds from the sale of tickets at the game were donated to the survivors of the RMS Titanic. The teams lined up as follows: Manchester United : Hugh Edmonds; Leslie Hofton, George Stacey; Dick Duckworth, Charlie Roberts, Alex Bell; Billy Meredith, Mickey Hamill, Harold Halse, Sandy Turnbull, George Wall and were managed by Ernest Mangnall. Swindon Town were represented by Len Skiller; Harry Kay, Billy Tout; Frank Handley, Charlie Bannister, Billy Silto; Bob Jefferson, Harold Fleming, Freddy Wheatcroft, Archie Bown, Sammy Lamb. While they were managed by Sam Allen. With the opening of Wembley Stadium still twelve years hence, the game took place at Stamford Bridge in front of a modest 12,000 crowd on a warm Monday afternoon. Unfortunately, Swindon’s Scottish international left-back Walker was absent through injury and the defence was often stretched by United’s mercurial Welsh winger Billy Meredith. His colleague Harold Halse also enjoyed a day when almost every opportunity he had ended up in the net. He helped himself to a double hat-trick – one in each half. Town’s only response in the second period was a late Jefferson effort that deceived United keeper Hugh Edmonds. But they had struck first when a quick break by Sammy Lamb resulted in Harold Fleming heading home. However, that lead lasted just two minutes and although they added two more goals before the break, it would prove to be the only time in the game that they were in front. Freddy Wheatcroft headed in Swindon’s second and made a third when he was bundled over in the area by Hofton, Billy Tout blasting home the resulting penalty. The occasion was little more than an exhibition match. Remarkably, the trip to the capital was Swindon’s tenth in 1911 and their second to the home of Chelsea. In an F.A.Cup quarter-final there on 11th March 1911, a large attendance, 77,952, had seen the Londoners triumph 3-1, the highest to witness a Town match in that competition. And in April, three visits were made to neighbouring Craven Cottage in another event to assist good causes, the Southern Charity Cup. At the end of 1911-12 season, Swindon had started to slip from its former stature, falling to 4th position with forty-eighth points, five behind Champions Queens Park Rangers, four behind second placed Plymouth Argyle and three behind Northampton Town in third spot. Bob Jefferson played thirty-four of the thirty-eight League games and scored thirteen, while in the F.A. Cup he played three and scored three and in the Charity Shield he scored once in one appearance and made one appearance in the Southern Charity Cup without scoring. His season got off to a flying start as in the first game on 2nd September 1911 in a 3-0 away win at Leyton Orient he scored his first goal and seven days later he scored in the second game of the season in a 5-3 home win over Norwich City. His third League goal came on 7th October 1911 in a 3-0 home win over Reading. His fourth came a month later on 4th November 1911 in a 2-0 home win over Brentford. There was another that went by before he scored his fifth League goal on 2nd December in a 2-0 home win over Bristol Rovers. However, he had a Christmas feast scoring six goals to take him to eleven, as he got the Robin's only goal in a 1-3 defeat at home to Brighton, but this was followed two days later with a brace in a 3-0 win at home over Stoke on Christmas Day and one more in the reverse fixture as Swindon easily won by 4-1 on Boxing Day and after not finding the net a day later in 2-0 home win over Plymouth, he was again on the mark with another brace, in a 6-2 home romp at home to Leyton Orient on 30th December 1911. He was not on the mark in the League for two months before he scored another brace in a 2-2 home draw with Coventry City on 5th April 1912, his final goals of the League season. Apart from the goal he scored in the Charity Cup final, already mentioned, he scored three in the F.A. Cup. They came on 3rd February 1912 in a 2-0 home win over Notts County, on 28th February 1912 in a 4-0 home win over West Ham United and the third on 9th March 1912 in a 2-1 home win over Everton. The 1912-13 season saw Swindon improve, but not enough to win the League as they gained forty-eight ponts just two points behind Champions Plymouth Argyle but the tightness of the competition could be judged on tha lesser places, with West Ham United just behind Swindon on goal average, followed by Queens Park Rangers on forty-six in fourth spot just pipping Crystal Palace and Millwall who were also split by goal average in fifth and sixth places, with Exeter on forty-four in seventh.Once more Jefferson was almost an ever-present, missing just one League game. However, his goal tally was just four. He also played three in the F.A. Cup ties and scored once on 11th January 1913 in a 2-0 away win at Rochdale. He played just one Southern Charity Cup game, a 3-2 home win over Bristol Rovers on 27th November 1912 but found the net twice. His League goals were one in the 2-1 home win over Northampton Town on 19th October 1912 and a brace in the 4-0 home win over Brighton and Hove Albion on 21st December 1912. It would have been hard for the Southern League to improve on their results of previous seasons but by now Fanny Walden had gained the outside right posion. The first Inter-League clash was on 30th September 1912 at Old Trafford Manchester. The Football League won by 2-1 with goals from Frank Bradshaw and Charlie Buchan, while Charlie Webb scored for the Southern League. Starting lineups: FOOTBALL LEAGUE: 1. Tim Williamson (Middlesbrough); 2. Ephraim Longworth (Liverpool), 3. Eli Fletcher (Manchester City); 4. Hugh Moffat (Oldham Athletic), 5. Jimmy Fay (Bolton Wanderers), 6. Robert McNeal (West Bromwich Albion); 7. Arthur Goddard (Liverpool), 8. Charlie Buchan (Sunderland), 9. Enoch West (Manchester United), 10. Frank Bradshaw Everton), 11. George Wall (Manchester United). : SOUTHERN LEAGUE: 1. Charles Shaw (Queens Park Rangers); 2. Harry Collyer (Crystal Palace), 3. John Walker (Swindon Town); 4. Bob Spottiswood (Crystal Palace) 5. Jimmy Hughes (Crystal Palace) 6. Tommy Randall (West Ham United); 7. Fanny Walden (Northampton Town), 8. Danny Shea (West Ham United), 9. Walter Davis (Millwall), 10. Charlie Webb (Brighton & Hove Albion), 11. Sammy Lamb (Swindon Town). On 14th October 1912 the Southern League defeated the Scottish League 1-0 at the Millwall Den and later drew 1-1 with the Irish League at the same venue on 15th March 1913. The goals came from Jack Cowell of Distillery after thirty-five minutes for the Irish League and George Butcher of West Ham United after sixty-five minutes. to level the scores. J. Baker of Liverpool was the referee and the crowd was 10,000. The teams were: SOUTHERN LEAGUE: 1. Charles Shaw (Queens Park Rangers); 2. Harry Collyer (Crystal Palace), 3. Sep Atterbury (Plymouth Argyle); 4. Billy Booth (Brighton and Hove Albion), 5. Ted Hanney (Reading), 6. Tommy Randall (West Ham United); 7. Fanny Walden (Northampton Town), 8. George Butcher (West Ham United), 9. Walter Davis (Millwall), 10. Jack Burton (Cardiff City), 11. Arthur Squires (Watford). IRISH LEAGUE : 1: Walter Scott (Shelbourne); 2. J. Irons (Bohemians), 3. George Gibson (Belfast Celtic); 4. William Watson (Shelbourne), 5. Sam Ritchie (Glentoran), 6. William Bartlett (Linfield); 7. David Lyner (Glentoran), 8. Jimmy Lindsay (Glentoran), 9. Jack Cowell (Distillery), 10. Harry Buckle (Belfast Celtic), 11. Marshall McEwan (Linfield). The 1913-14 season saw Swindon as Champions of the Southern League Division One with fifty points, just pipping Crystal Palace on goal average with Northampton Town third on forty-seven points. Jefferson was again high on the appearance list missing five games only with thirty-three League appearances in which he scored eight goals. He also made two appearances in the F.A. Cup, without scoring. His goals came in quick early strikes as he scored twice in the first game of the season, on 1st September 1913 in a 3-0 home win over Queens Park Rangers then there was none until 25th October 1913 when he was one of the scorers in a 2-0 home win over Norwich City. Another month passed before he again quickly added two to his tally firstly on 22nd November 1913 in a 1-1 home draw with Brighton and Hove Albion (Home) and on 29th November 1913 he again got the goal in another 1-1 draw, this time at Portsmouth. His sixth came on Boxing Day in a 5-0 home win over Bristol Rovers. His seventh came in a 3-0 home win over Southampton on 17th January 1914. His eighth came on 12th March 1914 in a 2-4 defeat at Queens Park Rangers. In the 1913-14 Inter-League games the first game was on 11th October 1913 at Dalymount Park, Dublin and in front of a 6,000 crowd the Southern League scored a resounding 4-1 win after the score had been 1-1 at half-time. The teams that lined up for the kick-off with Mr. T. Dougary (Glasgow) as referee was: IRISH LEAGUE : 1. Walter Scott (Shelbourne); 2. Bill McConnell (Bohemians), 3. George Gibson (Belfast Celtic); 4. J. Rowe (Bohemians), 5. George Kay (Distillery), 6. George Ferrett (Glentoran); 7. Joe Smith (Distillery), 8. Sam Young (Linfield), 9. Jack Cowell (Distillery), 10. Harry Buckle (Captain, Belfast Celtic), 11. Marshall McEwan (Linfield). SOUTHERN LEAGUE : 1. Joe Webster (Watford); 2. Harry Collyer (Crystal Palace), 3. Sid Ireland (Southampton); 4. Jock Comrie (Reading), 5. Archie Mitchell (Queens Park Rangers), 6. Gunner Higham (Brighton and Hove Albion); 7. Robert Jefferson (Swindon Town), 8. Billy Ingham (Norwich City), 9. Jack Evans (Cardiff City), 10. Walter Davis (Millwall), 11. Bertie Bowler (Plymouth Argyle). The goals came in the sixth minute as left winger Bertie Bowler gave the Southern League the lead. In the Joe Smith equalised from the spot in the nineteenth minute, before the Southern League went ahead ten minutes into the second half when Walter Davis made it 1-2. The Southern League increased their lead to 1-3 with an Own goal, by Bill McConnell, just three minutes later centre-forward Jack Evans completed the scoring in the sixty-third minute. Two days later, on 13th October 1913 the Southern League were given a reality check as the Scottish League thrashed them to the tune of 5-0 in front of a crowd of 10,000 at Third Lanark's Cathkin Park. On 9th February 1914, the Southern League were defeated 1-3 by the Football League at Millwall's Den. The 1914-15 season proved to be the final one before football was ended for the duration of World War One. Swindon finished ninth with forty-one points from thirty-eight games. It was quite close as they were only eight points behind second-placed Reading, with Champions Watford gaining a further three points more. Jefferson was his usual almost ever-present self and he chipped in nine goals in thirty-five League appearances, one goal in two F.A. games and one goal in his only Southern Charity Cup game. The Inter League did take place and on Monday 12th October 1914, the Southern League were held to a 1-1 draw at Millwall by the Scottish League in front of 7,000 spectators. This was quickly followed by a 2-1 defeat by the Football League on 26th October 1914 at Highbury. The Southern League took the final game to the Vetch Field, Swansea on 31st October 1914 in front of 8,000. Both goals were scored in the first half as the game ended one goal each against Irish League, who lined up. IRISH LEAGUE : 1. Fred McKee (Belfast Celtic); 2. Sam Burnison (Distillery), [Sam Ritchie (Belfast Celtic),] 3. Davy Rollo (Linfield), 4. Robert (Roy) McCracken (Distillery), 5. Johnny Scraggs (Glentoran), 6. Mickey Hamill (Belfast Celtic); 7. David Lyner (Glentoran), 8. Robert (Rab) Nixon (Linfield), 9. Clarge (Glentoran), 10. Jimmy McKnight (Belfast Celtic), 11. Sam Young (Linfield). Jefferson served as a corporal in the Royal Air Force during the First World War. He enlisted on 20th September 1916 and served in the RAF and then Royal Flying Corps, both in the No. 1 (Southern) Aircraft Repair Depot. He remained on the RAF Reserve until 26th April 1919 before being discharged on 30th April 1920. There was, as usual, a steady flow of goals. He opened his League tally with one on 16th September 1914 in a 4-1 home win over Bristol Rovers. and his second on 31st October 1914 in a 4-0 home win over Exeter City. This was followed by his goal in the Southern Charity Cup game on 11th November 1914 as he got one of the goals which gave Swindon a 2-1 away win at Southampton. His third League goal of the season in a 2-1 away win at Southend United on 2nd December 1914. It was no surprise when his fourth league goal came in a 7-1 demolition of Croyden Common on 28th December 1914. His goal in the F.A. Cup came in the hard fought battle with Chelsea, who had fought to the point of being level at full-time in the replay, Jefferson being one of the Swindon scorers. Unfortunately, Chelsea dug deep to win 5-2 after extra-time. His fifth goal came on 30th January when his goal gave Swindon a 1-1 draw at home to West Ham United. the other four goals came on 20th February 1915 with two in a 3-1 away win at Brighton & Hove Albion, then two more in his final game of the season on 3rd April 1915 that saw him score as Southend United were dismissed 4-0 at home. In the 1915-16 there were some games as Swindon and six other teams played in a Wartime South Western Combination. Town finished sixth of seven on the ladder but Jefferson did not play any of them. It was not until August 1919 that Football got back to being the main tournament and expanded its divisions to a third division, which became known as theThird Division South. In the final seasons of the Southern League, in 1914-15 only six of the forty clubs in the Football League were south of Birmingham. Of the twenty teams in the First Division of the Southern League, Nineteen would become members of the Football League by the 1920-21 season. In addition to the annual fixtures against the Scottish and Irish leagues, the Football League staged matches against the Southern League between 1910 and 1914 but as the Football League accepted more and more clubs under the the banner of the Football League The Southern League still considered themselves to be able to be on a par with the Second Division of the Football League and Inter-League combats more than confirmed that. However, when Football League games recommenced for the 1919-20 season The Southern League Division One was twenty-two teams strong and tightly fought. Swindon Town ended the season in 13th place with forty-one points. Portsmouth were champions on goal average from Watford, both with fifty-eight points and Crystal Palace were third just two points behind. Cardiff City came fourth on fifty three and the next thirteen points were covered by fourteen clubs, such was the competition. Bob Jefferson started Twenty-eight League games and scored five goals, while in the F.A. Cup, he played once and did not find the net. He scored twice in the first three games, one each in home wins over Merthyr Town, by 1-0 on 1st September 1919, and by 4-1 over Bristol Rovers, five days later. His third was in a home win by 5-2 over Gillingham on 4th October 1919. Then there was a drought before he next found the net in a 2-1 home win over Brighton and Hove Albion on 22nd November 1919 before having wait for their visit to cellar-dwellers, Gillingham, to claim his fifth on 14th February 1920. For the 1920-21 season the former Southern League Division One became the Football League Division Three. The Robins fared well, finishing fourth with fifty-two points seven points behind Champions Crystal Palace, who were five points clear of runners-up Southampton in a twenty-two-team competition. Jefferson missed just two games, in starting forty League, scoring six goals and also played two F.A. Cup without scoring. Jefferson and Swindon could not have had a better start to the season. They hammered Luton Town 9-1 at home on 28th August 1920 with Jefferson getting his first goal for the season in front of a crowd of 10,000. His second came in the Robins fourth game of the season in a 3-1 away win at Southend United on 11th September 1920. It was a couple of months later when he knotched his third and fourth goals in a 4-1 Home win over Millwall on 13th November 1920 in front of 10,000. There was a further long wait for his fifth goal on 5th March 1921 in a 2-3 away defeat at Norwich City. His sixth and final goal came under better circumstances later that month in a 3-0 away triumph at Brighton and Hove Albion. Jefferson had proved his durability throughout his long career, but the 1921-22 proved to be his final one at Swindon and he still scored a goal in his fourteen League games. It was on 10th September 1921 in a 1-3 away defeat by Southampton, as Swindon were 6th in the Third Division Three South with forty-five points. He had been with the Robins for fourteen years, but like many footballers of the time he missed several seasons because of WW1. In May 1922 Jefferson joined non-League Bath City, where he ended his playing career one year later. He did however also have a career as a football coach, and after retiring as a player, Jefferson went to the Netherlands to work as a coach. He started in Haarlem with HFC. After his one-year spell at the oldest football club of the Netherlands he left for Arnhem to coach local team Vitesse Arnhem from 1924 to 1927. During this time he also coached Tubantia from Hengelo from mid February until the first of June 1926 in order to prepare them for the promotion competition after which he returned to Vitesse. Though, as expected, he became champions with Tubantia, they eventually did not win the promotion competition. He then went to Hilversum to coach 't Gooi for two years. In the last of his two years in Hilversum he also coached Eindhoven. In 1929 he went to Groningen to coach Velocitas. During his time there he also coached HSC from nearby Hoogezand and FVC from faraway Leeuwarden. With Velocitas he won the Dutch FA Cup in 1934. After this success he left Velocitas to coach what was to be his final club in the Netherlands, Velox, where he coached until 1938.

League 175
F.A. Cup 10