Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Hateley: Mark Wayne (Mark)

1996-1996 (Leeds Player Details)(Player Details)

Centre Forward

Born: Wallesey, Liverpool: 07-11-1961

Debut: v Sheffield Wednesday (h): 20-08-1996

6’2” 13st (1998)

Son of former Liverpool and Chelsea striker, Tony Hateley, Mark started his professional career with First Division Coventry City in December 1978, aged seventeen. After a handful of games in the first two seasons he broke into the Sky Blue’s first team, under Gordon Milne, becoming a regular in the latter part of the 1980-81 season, after he had had a short loan period with Detroit Express where he got two goals in nineteen appearances. The England Youth International scored twenty-five goals from eighty-six starts and six games from the bench in League matches, together with six more in eleven F.A. Cup appearances, of which one was as a substitute, and three more in eight starts in the League Cup at Highfield Road before Bobby Campbell took him to Second Division Portsmouth for £180,000 on 6th June 1983. His career then really blossomed, as he was selected for the England Under-Twenty-Ones and he was instrumental in England winning the 1984 UEFA European Under-Twenty-One Football Championship, scoring six goals in the knockout stages. He then made a substitute appearance for England against Russia in a friendly at Wembley on 2nd June 1980, when he came on in the seventieth minute for Trevor Francis. He made his starting debut eight days later in a fine 2-0 win over Brazil at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro and he scored his first, and England's vital second goal, in the sixty-fifthy minute. He was only with Pompey for one season, scoring twenty-two goals in thirty-eight League starts together with one in two F.A. Cup ties and two in four League Cup starts, before AC Milan secured his services for £915,000 and he joined Ray Wilkins at the San Siro, effectively replacing another England player Luther Blissett, who had returned to Watford. Highly respected in Italy, Hateley played sixty-six times and scored seventeen goals during his three year stay with AC Milan, but in the final season he was used mainly from the bench and only scored twice. French club, AS Monaco, had to part with £2 million, on 1st June 1987, to bring Hateley to the principality where he enjoyed a three year stint under Arsene Wenger and alongside his England teammate Glenn Hoddle. With regular football he quickly found his scoring touch once more, scoring twenty-two times in fifty-nine appearances, picking up a French League Championship medal in 1988, but he could not regain his England place as the Lineker/Beardsley combination was too potent. He joined Rangers for £500,000 on 19th July 1990 and had his most happy and productive part of his career there, becoming the first non-Scottish player to win the country’s Player of the Year award in the 1993-94 season. He formed a striking partnership with Ally McCoist which was deadly in Scottish football. He scored eighty-five goals in one hundred and sixty-five League games, including seven substitute appearances, and a total of one hundred and eleven in two hundred and five starts and ten substitute appearances. He was revered by the Rangers fans as one of their best ever strikers and it was certainly a fruitful association as he won five consecutive Scottish League championship medals fro 1990-91 to 1994-95, together with two Scottish Cup winners' medals in 1991-92 and 1992-93 and three Scottish League Cup winners' medals in 1990-91, 1992-93 and 1993-94. However, initially, Hateley didn't receive the warmest of welcomes when he joined Rangers from Monaco before the start of the 1990-91 season. It was amazing that fans questioned the ability of a man who had spent three years with AC Milan, won thirty-two England caps and played regularly at the highest level. The fans doubts were ended when Hateley scored two goals against Aberdeen at Ibrox delivering the championship to Rangers in his first season. His greatest season at Ibrox was the 1992-93 season when he provided a seemingly endless list of highlights for the Rangers faithful. Perhaps the most remembered was his outstanding display against Leeds in the European Cup. Hateley scored with a magnificent twenty-five-yard left foot volley and then set up Ally McCoist's diving header with an inch perfect cross make it 2-0. This was something that Leeds fans found hard to forget. He left Rangers to join his ex-England, Rangers and AC Milan teammate, Ray Wilkins, at Queens Park Rangers on 25th September 1995, for £1,500,000 but he failed to fire in the EPL in a struggling QPR team that was duly relegated. A short loan spell with George Graham's Leeds United was not a success and he returned to QPR to finish his time there with only three goals from twenty-seven League appearances, nine of which were from the bench. He did however score twice in five F.A. Cup appearances, including two from the bench and he also played ine game as a substitute in the League Cup but did not find the net. However, in 1997, with Rangers trying to win their ninth title in a row, and with a huge injury list, Manager Walter Smith desperately needed a striker, and re-signed Hateley for £300,000, on 14th March 1997, for the vital game the following Sunday against Rangers' biggest rivals, Celtic at Parkhead. Rangers won the game 1-0, but Hateley was sentoff. However, most commentators thought that the mere presence of Hateley had given Rangers a psychological advantage and that it was a signing that had paid off. Rangers eventually won the league, with the game versus Celtic seen as the unofficial clincher. After just one goal from four appearances Hateley bid farewell once more to Ibrox at the end of the season and joined Hull City as player-manager on a free transfer on 15th July 1997. Hull struggled in the lower reaches of the English League. He scored just three goals in twelve starts and ten games from the bench in the League as well as starting five and being used twice as a substitute in the League Cup in his less than two year stay. After playing a total of twenty-nine times including twelve from the bench he was forced to leave, on 11th November 1998, with Hull close to extinction. He had two games for Ross County in the lower Scottish League but called time on his football career on 14th September 1999. He worked as a commentator for Setanta on Scottish League games and also worked in an ambassadorial role for Rangers and writes a Rangers column for the Scottish Daily Record. He played thirty two times for England of which twelve were as substitute and scored eight times, while at Under-Twenty-One level he scored eight times in ten starts and also represented England Youth. His son, Tom, plays as a midfielder for Motherwell.

League 5/10