OzWhite's Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
2018-22 - The El Loco Era: Back Where We Belong
2022-24 - Marsch back to the Championship
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Smith: John Eric (Eric)

1960-1964 (Player Details)

Right Half

Born: Glasgow: 29-07-1934

Debut v Liverpool (a): 20-08-1960

5’5” 11st 5 1/2lb (1963)

Smith began with St Andrew’s Juveniles and Pollok in 1951, then Glasgow Benburb, before joining Celtic on 2nd April 1953. His progress was interrupted somewhat by National Service. He served initially with the 6th Training Regiment of the Royal Engineers, stationed at Norton Camp, Worcester. There he served with other Scottish Footballers such as Dave McKay of Hearts, Bobby Walker of Hamilton and Ralph Brand of Rangers from 1955 to 1957. Sometimes able to get back for games, but often not. At the end of his National Service he became a regular at Parkhead. He had made his Scottish League debut in a 1-1 home draw with Queen of the South on 16th October 1954, scoring his first goal for the club in a 1-1 draw at Kilmarnock on 19th February 1955 in the Scottish Cup. His first Scottish League goal soon followed on 26th February 1955 in a 5-2 home win over St Mirren. In his career at Parkhead he scored twelve goals in ninety-five Scottish League appearances, adding five goals in nineteen Scottish Cup ties, three goals in sixteen Scottish League Cup ties and one goal in three Glasgow Cup ties, for a total of twenty-one goals in one hundred and thirty-three appearances. Smith was an all action style of player and so versatile that he could play in any position and during his time with Celtic he played at half-back, inside-forward and on the wings. He was in his element with the physical aspect of the game and was at his best when the going was toughest. His combination of courage and skill allowed him to control games and he was a hugely popular with the Celtic fans. However, he did not play for the Bhoys at a successful time and he and the team had little to show for their endeavours. Indeed all they had to show was a Scottish Cup runners-up medal in 1956 after Celtic were beaten 1-3 by Hearts in the Final at Hampden Park, in front of one hundred and thirty-two thousand, on 21st April 1956.He was capped twice by Scotland in 1959, making his debut at right-half in a 2-1 win over the Netherlands at the Olympic Stadium, Amsterdam on 27th May 1959 and his second and final cap came a few days later on 3rd June 1959 at the Estadio Jose Alvalade, Lisbon, when he again wore the Number Four shirt as Scotland went down to Portugal 0-1. He signed for Leeds on 11th May 1960 for £10,000. It was anticipated that his experience and grit would stiffen United’s defence, but that idea was scuppered when he broke his leg in his second game for Leeds, first game of the season at Elland Road, in a 1-1 draw with Bristol Rovers on 24th August 1960. This saw him sidelined until 31st December 1960 when he made his comeback in a 3-1 win at Rotherham United. A versatile player, Smith featured at right-half and inside right in that first season and managed to make eighteen League starts by season's end, despite not having fully recovered. The Scottish International was to suffer badly from injuries during his time with Leeds. In 1961-62 he started at right-back but after seven games reverted to his previous roles as he only missed one League game. The following season saw the arrival of the neucleus of Revie’s successful team and, after a few appearances, he found Norman Hunter, Paul Reaney, Willie Bell, Billy Bremner and Jim Storrie barring his way in his favoured positions. He had maintained his position in the half back-line playing in six of the first eight games in the half-back role but it was in the 2-0 home win over Chelsea on 15th September 1962, the game after the blooding of Gary Sprake, Paul Reaney, Norman Hunter and Rodney Johnson at Swansea, that his Leeds career effectively came to an end as he suffered a double-fracture of the leg. It proved to be his final League game for Leeds. He did play once more in a 1-3 defeat at Maine Road, Manchester, when an under-strength Leeds team went down to Manchester City, in the Fourth Round of the League Cup, when their eyes were firmly on promotion, which was achieved at the end of that season. He joined Morton in 1964 where he played for two seasons and later became manager. In June 1964 he went to Morton before retiring in 1966 and became coach after scoring three goals in thirty-five League appearances. On his return to Glasgow he owned a pub called the Bosanova being granted a licence on 20th October 1964 and was till running the pub in 1973. He also owned the Tartan Bar for a time. He was Manager of Morton for a short while in 1972, after spending some time in Cyprus as coach with Pezoporikos Larnaca. Shortly after recommending one of his young Morton players, Joe Jordan, to Leeds, he was appointed Managerof Hamilton Academicals in 1972. He held the position until April 1978 when he became Manager of Sharjah FC in the United Arab Emirates. Between June 1982 and May 1983 he was Assistant Manager to Don Revie at Al Nasr, becoming Manager of Al Shaab the following year. He returned to Cyprus to coach Pezoporikos in the 1980s and died of a heart attack on holiday in Dubai on 12th June 1991.

League 653
F.A. Cup 30
League Cup 40